View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 01:34
Default Re: Homecoming Mums?

Originally Posted by preciosaybella View Post
My sister moved to Fort Worth from here in Chicago about 10 yrs ago and every fall talks about these and how the teens in her neighborhood wear them to the homecoming game? She's even sent pictures of them.

I know this has nothing to do with the original post but maybe you can solve a great mystery to me? Why do they wear them??? Is there a stroy behind them? Is it only a Texas thing? We had never heard of them until she moved there!

Some of those mums are so big they look like they take up the entire front of their body, lol!!!
Here is an article that I found online about mums. I LOVE them I wore one that my mom in high school and it was so great(:

Homecoming mums have become a status symbol for many junior high and high school students. Designs change every year. The more original, the better.

If you’re a crafter and live in Texas or Oklahoma, you should be in seventh heaven. You can make homecoming mums for yourself or your favorite high school student at a fraction of the retail price.

Even the boys are getting into this fad. They’ve started wearing homecoming garters containing a smaller version of the mums on their sleeves.

If you craft for profit, the high margins make homecoming mums a very attractive seasonal craft.

Homecoming Mums: The Tradition

Chrysanthemums have long been the quintessential Fall flower, so it’s not surprising that they quickly became associated with the quintessential Fall sport – football. In the earliest pictures of college football games, you can pick out the mum corsages worn by the young women in the stands.

Since everything grows big in Texas, it’s also not surprising that the Lone Star State is credited with developing the more elaborate corsages known as homecoming mums. In the 1960’s, these wonderful concoctions could be had there for $10. Ahh, the good ‘ol days.

Over the years, mums were cultivated to grow bigger and bigger and the corsages grew and grew.

Today, the silk flower has replaced the live chrysanthemum as the centerpiece for homecoming mums. With silk flowers, the only size limit to homecoming mum corsages is the size of the wearer!

Now a homecoming mum can be saved as a keepsake or recycled into next year’s new unique corsage.
__________________ &

'LIKE' our Facebook page to get a chance to win prizes in our up coming contests!