View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 09:30
Default Cheer Bow: sewing vs Heat n Bond

I made a bow for my daughter for the 4th of July parade her coach saw it and wants to use it as a competition bow for the girls and wants me to make them all. Keep in mind the girls are only 5

I attached a picture below. I sewed 3 ribbons together to make a wider bow and then sewed it to make it a moveable pony-O (One ribbon was black with gold polk a dots the other was zebra and the last was black.).

I know that a real cheer bow is made with heat n bond, mystique etc. This bow doesn't have any of that. It was my faux way of making a cheer bow quick since I didn't have time to cut the mystique and heat n bond layers.

Here is my question: Do you forsee any problems with this? I like the way it looks but since I'm new at this and I don't always understand why sometimes things aren't made a certain way? If I tried sewing the mystique onto grossgrain I'm thinking it might not sew well on it? I hate to try it and mess up any fabric since it is so expensive. This bow was so much easier to make than the having to cut up strips of fabric and using heat n bond. The biggest down side is that the satin ribbon of course doesn't compare to the shiny expensive mystique.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!!!

Oh, one more question! seeing my five year old with this bow, what do you think? How long should my tails be and how wide the bow? I think my bow might need to be wider??? TIA!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zamora Viking Cheer Parade.jpg (55.3 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by preciosaybella; 07-14-2011 at 09:32.
Sponsored Links