Ah, pictures. What a pain in the butt. My advice...
1. Build a light box. Super easy and makes things look more professional. http://www.digital-photography-schoo...ive-light-tent
2. Use white on white or neutral background.
3. Use a white bowl instead of clear.
4. Stop using flash.
5. Get to know your camera. Try using macro for close up pics. http://www.digital-photography-schoo...-for-beginners
6. Use Picnik to crop and fix. http://www.picnik.com
I've re-shot a million times and am still in the process of getting it right. Check out my shop to see what I do. I use all of the above.