View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 01:59
Default Re: Share a tip! (a feel good thread!) :)

Oooh, love the idea of the surrounds. I haven't tried them yet, but now I know to bake them and how, hehe.

If you need to use tweezers & you have a serger, use the serger tweezers that are used for threading. The extra length will give you more control. No serger? Besides finding them at sewing machine type stores, check medical & dental supplies for hemostats, if you like a two finger control:

I'm cheap and haven't used heat set rhinestones yet. Know where to get real cheap tiny, small rhinestones for say, ribbon sculptures? Nail supply stores (personally I got a super buy on Ebay, (same with those googlie/googly eyes)

Manicurists use a special tool to apply them, but you can do the same thing with a little rolled up ball of tacky strip (the stuff you can put on behind your kid's artwork and then remove easy) or in a pinch a bit of chewing gum. Put the little ball on a chopstick or bar-b-que skewer, then stick on the rhinestone. Put your dab of glue or hotglue (smallest gun works best), then hover and aim your stick over glue & press lightly. If the rhinestone doesn't come right off, just wait for the glue to harden a bit, then remove.