View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 03:14
Default Re: attaching plastic embellishments

Originally Posted by jenn7575 View Post
Hi everyone. I am a total newbie, and I have tried searching but I am not even sure I am using the right terminology. I am new to making bows for my 3 year old, and I thought I was doing pretty good. BUT I am finding that the plastic embellishments I have hot glued on to the lined clips are coming off. Is it possible I am using too much glue? Not the right kind of glue? I just bought a cheapie hot glue gun. Could that be my problem? Should I be doing something to add texture to the back of the plastic piece? I've noticed they are pretty smooth and I am wondering if I should use sand paper on the back to rough it up so it sticks better? I am at a loss, and thought I should run it past the experts.

Lastly, sometimes my ribbon comes off the clip. Again, I am wondering if this is an issue with the amount of hot glue (too much, too little?), or the quality of the glue/gun??

Sorry for being such a newb....but we've got to start somewhere, right? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

I also recommend the E6000. They will not come off with this glue. Very bad fumes so be careful. I bought some surgical masks to use when I do bottle caps and use the E6000.

As far as the glue gun. I got a $5 one from HL and use the cheap Wal-Mart (Ad-Tech Brand) glue sticks and they work great. The glue is a little stringy, but I have no problems with them, but have heard other people who dont like it. HTH!